Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Lonely Conservative II

This lonely Conservative is getting lonelier by the day. Even though I had differences with Rudy Guiliani, I believed he was the best of what I thought was just an "average" group of Republicans, and planned to vote for him Tuesday. Then he dropped out and followed that by giving us Conservatives a low blow by endorsing John "Straight Talk" McCain...ouch!


And today along with Rudy, our beloved Governator Arnold Kennedy-Schriver-Schwarzenagger also endorsed "Straight Talk". There they stood at a press conference - the Three Amigos, talking about ending Global Warming, lifting up the middle class, and "reaching across the aisle" to cooperate with Democrats (better not turn your back John, after you reach). So it looks like the Republican establishment and Washington elites are "circling the wagons" around John McCain with the intent of closing out Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee before the super Tuesday primaries. Folks, we're being "railroaded" by the Straight Talk Express.


So we will see what happens. I suspect this support of John McCain (who is more of a Democrat than Republican) is rooted in several issues:


1/ He is a war hero, a strong military leader, and does appeal to Independent voters who played a large part in the earlier primaries, and there is still much concern in this country about radical Islam and the terror threat they represent to this world.


2/ He has the backing of the "Establishment" in Washington...after 25 years he has lots of contacts, and favors to receive (and give out). A deal with Rudy?...I wouldn't be surprised if Rudy was promised VP or Attorney General in a McCain administration.


3/ But most of all, I think the media has convinced the American public that John McCain is the only candidate that can beat Hillary Clinton. And the hatred of Hillary on the Right is as strong as the hatred of Bush on the Left. So if McCain is the Republican nominee, I will recall my childhood days when mom made us eat everything - if there is fried liver and lima beans on the plate, choose the lima beans first.


But all is not lost. As we work our way through this political season the American people will have the final say, which is the way it should be. And besides, our brilliant politicians are now working on a way to solve all of our ills with a "stimulus" package. So why worry about politics when we are all going to get free money in a few months. I continue to be impressed with our politicians in Washington. When I was young, if things got tough with the economy, we just had to work our way through it. Now when things get tough, our politicians have come up with a better solution - send everyone a check! And why not, even though our country is trillions of dollars in debt, all they have to do is send a message to the Treasury to print more money...is this a great country or what? As for me, when I get my check, the first thing I am going to do is buy gas for my gas guzzling pickup (which will increase the profits of Exxon), and then whatever is leftover, I plan to spend at Wal-Mart!

4 comments:

Michael Strickland said...

I'm going to give my rebate check to an illegal alien, who deserves it more than me.

Chuckie D said...

I have a better idea - we live on 20 acres of forested land with hundreds of trees constantly sucking up CO2 and releasing life giving oxygen into the atmosphere. Send me your rebate check and I will send you a certificate for 100 Carbon Credits.

These Credits could be very valuable to you as a resident of New York City since I understand that Al Gore is proposing a "breathing tax" on all densely populated cities like NY, where millions of people daily breath in pure oxygen and spew out dangerous CO2 which contributes significantly to Global Warming. My Carbon Credits could ease the burden of that new tax.

Michael Strickland said...

You are living a CO2-induced fantasy. The carbon credits that your 20 acres creates are more than offset by your 2-mile-per-gallon monster truck and frequent 10-mile drives into the city to run errands. Conversely, my excessive breathing is offset by my daily commuting via public transportation when, in fact, I sometimes have to actually hold my breath -- thus giving myself more carbon credits.

Chuckie D said...

200 Carbon Credits for your rebate check - that's my best and final offer.