Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Retirement sucks"

At least that is what Bret Favre thinks. One of the greatest quarterbacks in history has for the second time come out of retirement. Financially he has more money than any of us could dream of having, and yet he could care less about the money. After all, his wardrobe consists of jeans and t-shirts. And now he is coming back for his 19 th year in the NFL; a punishing career that only a few could endure.

So why would he do this? I'll tell you why - he is a classic example of someone who just loves his job so much he finds it very difficult to give it up. Even though the chances of more injuries become higher as he continues to play a young mans game, he cannot let it go.

How many of you could say the same thing? If you were financially independent would you still be obsessed with continuing your career? I don't think so. That is why it is so impressive to see this kind of passion from a person that truly loves his work. I had the same experience for 35 years; a job that I was "passionate" about - but sadly that does not seem to be the case now with many young people.

After a lifetime of a career that I loved, I am happy in retirement and someday Bret Favre will feel the same. Let's hope he does not destroy his body in the process of pursuing his passion for football. I wish him well in the NFL this year.

1 comment:

Michael Strickland said...

Not all of us are lucky enough to be doing what we love as a job. Many jobs that pay a decent salary are the kinds of jobs that no one could ever "love." So yes, I'd give up my career in a heartbeat. I had a job once that I loved; I was eager and ecstatic to get up at 4:30 a.m. every morning to get to work. But it only paid $10 per hour. Kinda hard to pay the bills -- much less save for "retirement" -- at that wage. Though I guess if I loved it that much, I'd never retire, right?