Saturday, February 6, 2010

"Lone Survivor"

I normally would not write a book review on my blog but since my last blog was about the Taliban this continues that subject.

I just finished "Lone Survivor" -The eye witness account of Operation Redwing and the lost heroes of SEAL Team 10. The book was written by Marcus Luttrell with Patrick Robinson. Marcus was the 'lone survivor' in this true story of a tragic SEAL team operation in Afghanistan that went bad.

During my career, I had the opportunity to work with the SEAL teams at their training base on Coronado Island, San Diego. We were developing underwater communications equipment for them and I was one of the topside engineers working with these crazy underwater military men. I was impressed then and after reading this book which details the training they go through, I am even more impressed. You may ask what are Navy SEALs doing in land locked Afghanistan. Even though they specialize in underwater operations, the name SEAL comes from sea, air, and land Navy special forces.

The book is both uplifting and heartbreaking and after reading it you will have a lifelong appreciation for what our military men go through. You will see the political side of war where "political correctness" as applied to Rules of Engagement can literally handcuff and impair our troops from doing their job against a ruthless enemy. And you will get a true insight into the culture of the Taliban and the Afghans - both good and bad.

Whether you are for or against this war or any other war, this is a must read. These guys are not the ones who make war, they just follow orders with unwavering dedication to our country. I understand that Hollywood is making a movie of this remarkable story; let's hope they will portray the military like this lone survivor does - read the book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Genial post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.