Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"It's Howdy Doody Time"

OK, I'm giving away my age. As a kid after World War II living in the projects of Buffalo, NY one of my fondest memories was getting our first television set. Black and white of course, but it was magic because before that, our family sat together on weekend nights drinking sodas, eating chips, and listening to the radio.

And believe it or not one of the most popular dinner time programs was a puppet show called "Howdy Doody Time". I and my two brothers watched every night. It was also "live" and you never knew what was going to happen. I remember one evening when the arm came off the puppet and they just continued the program while Howdy commented; "Oh my, my arm just came off"...funny. This was the early 50's so why do I remember this program?

I remember because to me this memory is a metaphor for what we are seeing in our President. He is charismatic, he is an impressive speaker, but he is Howdy Doody...a puppet. We have all heard the jokes about how he cannot make a speech or presentation without a teleprompter, and I remember when he used a teleprompter to talk to some school children. But today after meeting with the BP executives, I was appalled when he came out to make "comments" about the meeting and talked from a teleprompter. This man cannot talk from his mind (or heart). There is a reason he has few impromptu press conferences and when he does, he limits the time and filibusters every answer. If he is a "puppet" I wish I knew who was operating the strings. Someone...maybe a left wing group of powerful people who recognized this guy's oratorical talent, and with the support of the liberal media have been able to pull all the right strings and now he is the leader of the free world. Or he is a "so-called" leader with no experience in managing anything.

I realize this sounds like a conspiracy theory and I don't believe that, but I think history will show that Obama was either a black "Howdy Doody", or the most incompetent president in our history. He and his administration are doing much damage to this country. I don't worry for us; but I worry for my children and grandchildren.

No comments: