Thursday, March 15, 2012

The "I's" have it..

'Narcissism'; a doctrine that individual self-interest is the actual motive of all conscious action.

Maybe it's me, but does it bother you that Obama uses the word "I" in most of his speeches? Yesterday I watched him in a news conference with David Cameron, Prime Minister of England.  On the subject of Iran, Obama made the following comments: "I will never let Iran develop a nuclear bomb", and after that: "If they do not stop I will take action".  If you listen to his speeches about being the President that took down Bin Laden you would think that he was the first one out of that helicopter and personally put a bullet through Bin Laden's heart.

Yes, he is the President and the "buck stops there", but does he really believe that? I don't see him taking responsibility for anything; "It was George Bush's fault", "The economy was much worse than I thought", "I can't do anything about high gas prices", etc.

I wonder what his staff, his Cabinet, his supporters in Congress, his military leaders, think about his inability to use the word "we"?

Maybe this is a rant, but "I' think he is a narcissist of the worse kind that cannot stand for anyone else to get credit but himself. Someone once said; "To be a truly successful leader, surround yourself with talented managers, give them some direction, and then back off and get out of their way".  Having been a CEO of successful companies, I could never have used the word "I" because remembering all the great employees I was surrounded with over the years, "we" were the reason for success.      

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on the money as usual, Chuck! Thanks to your leadership, "we" did indeed have great, successful teams over the many years. Thanks.

All the best...JB