Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patricks Day "Black and Tan"

For several years I have tried to make a true "Black and Tan"; traditional beer cocktail for Saint Patrick's Day celebrations. For those that don't know what a Black and Tan is; it's a mixture of a light pale ale and Guinness, a dark, heavy Irish ale. The beauty of this beer cocktail is the "looks". If properly done the light pale ale stays at the bottom and the heavy Guinness stays at the top.

If you Google it you will get dozens of suggestions for making it - take it from me they don't work. Here is the basic recipe - pour about 2/3 glass of the pale ale then slowly (over a spoon) pour the Guinness which being heavier will float on top, I have tried and tried and the two always mix together.  Even my "pro bartender" grandson couldn't do it during his visit on St Pat day last year.

But I finally figured it out this year. First get the Guinness and Bass English Pale Ale. Prepare the glass, get the spoon ready. Mix yourself a double martini (two olives). In the beer glass pour about 2/3 of the pale ale. Then put on your favorite Opera CD. Take a sip of the martini (maybe two). Now very carefully pour the Guinness over a spoon on the pale ale so that the two don't mix as shown in the picture (but they always do, the picture is Photo shopped).

So to celebrate this day, listen to the opera, drink your martini and as a chaser have the Bass Ale/ Guinness mix and tell everyone you are a "Black and Tan" expert.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day everyone. 

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I love it! For me, skip the martini and the beer...just give me the opera, a nice glass of wine and good company. Oh, and can't forget the Corned beef and cabbage :)

Anonymous said...

I like Cathy.

Do you have Tosca on CD?

Olav