Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Santa Rita Bubbly

Those that read this Blog know that I am a home winemaker. Two years ago I decided to try and make a champagne. In France the prime champagnes are made from Pinot Noir grapes. Since I have 100 of those vines, I decided to try it.

The process is complicated so I won't get into the details, but unlike making white or red wine which you get to taste along the way, champagne is much more difficult. In 2006 we picked two rows of Pinot Noir fruit for our "champagne" experiment. Fermentation is a two step process - making the "cuvee" (the starting wine) takes about three months, and then the final fermentation takes place in the bottle which takes a minimum of 12 months. This second fermentation in the bottle generates CO2 gas, which is where the "bubbly" comes from, and it must be done in a bottle that will take high pressure. So until the final bottling (after almost two years), the winemaker is only guessing about the quality of the wine in the bottle. And in my case (a winemaker that has never done it before), the process is even more of an adventure.

We are now bottling this first champagne and surprise...it is quite good. I followed the classic "methode champenoise" used in France and after some hilarious experiences trying to remove the sediment and quickly add a "dosage" and cap the fizzing bottle, we now have three cases of Strickland Cellars "estate" champagne.

Will I do it again...not sure. As a winemaker I feel proud that after such a long period the final result is a success. In July we will enter this Champagne in the California Mid State Fair Winemakers Competition...so we'll see. Stand by for the results.


But I must admit, one thing I like about making beer...you get to drink it in 90 days. When you're my age, two years is a long time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If this is the same champagne that we had a few weeks ago, it was wonderful. Love reading your blog!