Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Our "no class" society

The inauguration today was impressive as it usually is. This country knows how to show the world that our democracy can change power in a very civil and impressive way. I did not vote for Obama but he is now my President and I wish him the best.

But two things turned me off about our country today. Obviously the attendance at the inauguration was mostly liberal folks; after all it is their victory. During the introductions the crowd applauded the Clinton's, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and all the other Democratic dignitaries...as they should...they won. But when first President George H. W. Bush and his wife were introduced, the crowd was quiet, and when President George W. Bush and his wife were introduced the crowd booed and some yelled obscenities. Whether you agree with his politics or not he was our President and should get the respect of his office. The reaction of the crowd shows the lack of "class" that many in our country have. I am a hard core Conservative who disliked Clinton and Carter with a passion, but I would NEVER boo a standing President. Whether you agree with our President or not they deserve our respect...another black eye for you Democrats.

And finally I must take exception to the Benediction especially the final paragraph:

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around ... when yellow will be mellow ... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right."

I am a 69 year old white man that has always "embraced what is right". So Reverend Lowery I take offense with your prayer and on the day of the inauguration of the first black President, which is supposed to bring us all together, you have by your words kept the racial divide in this country front and center.

1 comment:

usamctwo said...

Years ago in Kansas City, I was having lunch with a bunch of my co-workers. There was a bit of a crowd that started walking by the restaurant and then the front door opened. In walked, at that time, Vice President Al Gore.

We were eating our sandwiches and hoping he would not walk our way. He did. So all of us (I was with a bunch of Republicans) stood up and kindly shook his hand. I was not a fan of Mr. Gore, but did admit he seemed to have more of a personality in person. Less wooden.

You don't have to agree with their politics, but they are the leaders of our country. And you don't have to be rude.